1) Write an essay on a musical instrument, device, or software. Discuss it's history, development and overall contribution to the music industry or specific ensemble. exs. "The History of the Tuba" "The Development of Sibelius and Finale Software" "Dr. Beat vs. McAdams: Pros and Cons of Both Devices"
2) Write a review of a musical work, song, album, live performance, music documentary, or book about a musical topic. exs. "A Critique of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" "A Review of Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms Performed by the Berlin Philharmonic"
3) Write a biography about a musician or group of musicians. exs. "The Rolling Stones: The Pioneers of The Dark Side of Rock & Roll" "The Life and Works of J.S. Bach"
4) Write a description of a career available in the music industry. exs. Music Therapy, Music Performance, Music Education, Music Business and Administration, Recording and Production, etc.
5) Write an analysis of a musical work. exs. "The 12 Tone Matrix of Pierrot Luniere" "A Counterpoint Analysis of Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" "A Harmonic Analysis of Prokofiev's 5th Symphony"
6) Write a paper describing a specific musical work and its relationships to the historical period, cultural climate, and geographical region in which it was composed. exs. "Eroica: Beethoven and Napoleon" "The Anti-Soviet: Dimitri Shostakovich" "Why Popular Music Has Frightened Parents Throughout the Ages?"
John D. Converse, II
Director of Bands - La Cueva High School